Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Homemade Summer Sausage
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground turkey
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp mustard seed
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
⅛ tsp black pepper
3 tbsp Morton's Tender Quick
1 cup water
1. Mix together well.
2. Divide into two portions and place on aluminum wrap shiny side next to meat.
3. Form into rolls.
4. Fold and seal the foil well.
5. Refrigerate 24 hours
6. Preheat oven to 350
7. Pierce the bottom of the loaves and place on broiling rack filled with water.
8. Bake approximately 80 minutes.
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Anderson's Split Pea Soup/Crock Pot Version
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups split peas , rinsed and picked over
- 1 stalk celery , coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot , chopped
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine water, peas, celery, carrot, onion, thyme, red pepper and bay leaf in crock pot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low until split peas and vegetables are tender (anywhere from 6-8 hours).
- Press soup through fine sieve and reheat just to boiling point or use hand blender to smooth.