New Orleans Gumbo
- 1 cup oil or lard
- 2 cups cut up chicken breast
- 1 1/2 lbs. andouille sausage, ham or chorizo
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- Cooked rice
- Joe’s Stuff (cajun seasoning)
- 1Season and brown chicken in oil over medium heat until cooked through. Add sausage to pot and saute with chicken. Remove both from pot.
- 2Max a roux* with equal parts of oil (must be free of food particles to avoid burning so clean the pot well) and flour to desired color. Add onions, celery and green pepper. Add garlic to mixture and stir continuously. After vegetables reach desired tenderness, return chicken and sausage to pot and cook with vegetables, stirring frequently. Gradually stir in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for an hour or more. Season to taste with Joe’s Stuff seasoning or other cajun seasoning.
- 3Approx. 10 minutes before serving, add green onions. Serve over rice or plain, accompanied by french bread.
- 4*Roux: The lighter the color the thicker the end result. I try to make this roux a medium brown color-not too light, not too dark.